User Engagement Specialist-2012227
The Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC) architects, deploys, and operates world-class, high-performance computational resources. Building on its roots within both Carnegie Mellon and the University of Pittsburgh, PSC enables national and international researchers to make use of innovative technologies in addition to a robust array of local and regional collaborators. The User Support group within PSC is responsible for identifying solutions to a myriad of issues facing researchers. We are looking for creative and capable individuals to join an experienced team and continue our part in pushing forward the boundaries of science.
We are seeking a User Engagement Specialist to join our User Support team. In this role, you will primarily be responsible for engagement and support of computational scientists, engineers and scholars in a state-of-the-art heterogeneous high performance computing and data analytics environment. Mission-critical duties include developing support relationships with scientists from all over the USA and beyond on complex computational issues of operating systems, compilers, security, algorithms, applications software packages, code optimization, etc.; training; documentation; software development; and performance monitoring. You will collaborate with the broader PSC staff of facilities, network, scientific, and administrative support specialists to address and resolve user problems.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Read and respond to issues reported by PSC’s community of users in a timely manner
- Collaborate with members of the User Support and Facilities team to solve user environment and software problems
- Communicate via ticket system, email and telephone with PSC’s community of users
- Learn and keep current with emerging technologies
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within PSC. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or relevant field required.
- Minimum one year of help desk, customer support, or related experience required.
- Experience with Linux/Unix, scripting languages (e.g. Python, BASH), C or Fortran, HPC systems and schedulers such as Slurm or PBS highly desired.
- Familiarity with containerized execution such as Singularity, Docker, or Kubernetes; RT or similar customer issue management system; and administering and analyzing customer surveys preferred.
- Demonstrated desire to learn and share new skills and technologies for continuing team development.
Please apply for all staff positions by creating a profile and submitting credentials online at http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/index.html. No applications will be accepted via email or the U.S. Postal Service.