CI JUMPStart program
Through the JumpStart program, PSC will come to your school and provide a two-hour workshop for students and teachers to introduce topics related to computational science and cyberinfrastructure, to get you thinking about science project ideas. These workshops will be offered beginning in mid-December.
Bringing Jumpstart to YOU through:
- Science class "guest lectures" — this format fits well into a standard class period. Longer periods can be accommodated by allowing for more discussion related to current events in computational science
- After school program — these programs may draw a more focused audience
- Weekend workshop — a less dependent school support method with more rigorous presentation
Using STAKEs to Support STEM
Numerous studies have shown the value of experiential learning in the mastery of complex topics. PSC extends this principle to education in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) by developing and deploying STAKEs - Science and Technology Active Knowledge Experiences. STAKEs are opportunities for students to explore and experience the impact of science and technology in active, rather than passive, ways.
STAKEs materials include a teacher's guide, a student packet, and six worksheets. A complete packet, combining the teacher and student guides, is also available. All files are PDF format and require Adobe Reader.
- Student Guide [pdf]
- Teacher Guide [pdf]
- Complete packet: Teacher guide plus worksheets [pdf]
- Additional teacher materials:
- Worksheet: How fast can you calculate? [pdf]
- Worksheet: Data Sets: Why do we care? [pdf]
- Worksheet: Image representation [pdf]
- Worksheet: Image representation blank sheet [pdf]
- Worksheet: Sorting Networks photocopy sheet [pdf]
- Worksheet: Programming languages, example images [pdf]
- Box Lid image [pdf]