Position: HPC System Administrator (9533)
This position is responsible for systems administration and programming activities required to support 24x7 operation of the leading edge high performance computing environment that the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC) provides for an international user community. Related duties of this position include troubleshooting system software problems; identifying and solving operational problems; installing and testing operating systems and other software; and developing and testing tools and utilities to improve the administration, preparing system documentation for operating the resources, monitoring and operation of PSC's high performance computing and storage systems. Other responsibilities include developing and implementing tools for computing systems that are suitable for production use in a high performance computing environment. The tools include, but are not limited to, homogeneous and heterogeneous cluster and grid computing systems, parallel and distributed file systems, hierarchical storage management systems, system performance monitoring data collection, storage and reporting. In addition to building the tools, development of procedures for operations and performance testing are an integral part of the job. The incumbent will also prepare documentation, provide training and contribute to a variety of project publications including status reports to funding agencies, scientific papers and conference presentations.
- Education: BS in Computer Science, related discipline or equivalent training and experience.
- Experience: One or more years experience in supporting production computing systems.
- Skills: Excellent problem solving skills; the ability to communicate clearly and work in a team environment; the ability to analyze a system, determine areas in need of improvement and implement solutions to improve the reliability, security and integrity of the system. Knowledge of and work experience with LINUX; shell programming; scripting languages, such as perl or python; HTML, and gnu software. High degree of knowledge in administrating production systems, Linux internals, UNIX file systems as well as general familiarity with Windows and Apple Mac OS X; awareness of data archiving software and parallel file systems; familiarity with grid computing software; the ability to recognize patterns of faults; ability to contribute to preparation of annual reports, scientific papers and presentations.
- Physical Mobility: Generally sedentary; requires ability to travel off-site to other campus locations and to other cities; ability to stay at a terminal and use a keyboard and mouse for extended periods; on rare occasions may require heavy lifting, climbing ladders or crawling into confined spaces.
- Environmental Conditions: Primarily usual office setting, but must be able to work occasionally in a machine room setting (both remote and local); close contact with a visual display for extended periods.
- Mental: Ability to work under pressure; ability to pay close attention to detail; and ability to adapt to changing requirements, deadlines and environment; must be able to balance multiple simultaneous tasks.
- Other: Night and weekend work will occasionally be required; must have transportation in order to travel between sites in emergencies.
- Education: Advanced degrees or additional academic or professional courses.
- Experience: Experience in an academic setting. Experience in developing system tools.
- Skills: Knowledge of batch scheduling software. Knowledge of computer architectures, disks, tapes, adapters, controllers, and switches and their physical interconnections; knowledge of wide area and local area networking technologies and equipment; general knowledge of computers and peripherals. Familiarity with data analysis packages, awareness of Big Data and system monitoring.
To apply submit your credentials online at http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/index.html. No applications will be accepted via email or snail mail.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer.