Machine Learning Research Engineer-2013218
The Mellon College of Science (MCS) is home to four departments and many programs and research centers that cross disciplines. We approach scientific problems from fresh angles using creative interdisciplinary approaches while drawing on our departmental strengths in the core sciences. Our Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC) within MCS is seeking a Machine Learning Research Engineer. In this role, you will work within the PSC’s Artificial Intelligence and Big Data (AI&BD) Group to support and advance research, assist with user support, as well as develop and deliver advanced training. This is an excellent opportunity if you thrive on opportunity for collaboration with complementary groups across PSC, particularly Biomedical Applications, User Support for Scientific Application, and Facilities Technology.
Responsibilities are determined by active project needs. Some examples are as follows:
- Technically support domain-specific projects with academic and private-sector researchers to develop and test prototype solutions applying high performance computing capabilities to data science challenges (HPDA).
- Assist in the development of best practices for scalable AI, including elements of benchmarking and comparative evaluation involving various software frameworks and advanced hardware platforms.
- Support the development of advanced training content for briefings, seminars, workshops, and tutorials, and assist with its delivery.
- Install, test, and deploy AI and data analytics software on PSC’s production and research platforms.
- Provide advanced user support on topics involving AI, big data, and data analytics software and hardware environments.
- Lead or support the dissemination of results through white papers, presentations at conferences and/or journal publications.
- Contribute as needed to grant proposals and related efforts to attract funding.
- Execute runtime analysis and implement improvements of existing machine learning environments.
- Develop, implement and maintain tools for continuous testing and for efficient high performance resource job scheduling.
- Actively discuss and implement new ideas in close collaboration with other members of the Artificial Intelligence and Big Data Group and other groups across the center.
- Support the creation and deployment of web content for the official group page around research projects.
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within PSC. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
Skills and experience:
- Proficiency with Python programming and package installation.
- Proficiency with Linux: shells, editors, building applications, etc.
- Proficiency with one or more web development stacks.
- Preferred: Proficiency with one or more mathematical/statistical programming packages: Python numpy/scipy/pandas, R, MATLAB, etc.
- Preferred: Proficiency with one or more deep learning frameworks and environments: TensorFlow, Caffe2, PyTorch, Anaconda, etc.
- Preferred: Demonstrated success with machine learning (preferably deep learning) projects beyond coursework, i.e., in research or business.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and creativity.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Machine Learning, Data Science, Statistics, or Computing Engineering, or another field of science or engineering with relevant experience with Linux, AI frameworks and data analytics tools.
- Preferred Master’s Degree in Machine Learning, Data Science, Statistics, or Computing Engineering, or another field of science or engineering with relevant experience with AI frameworks and data analytics tools.
- Minimum three years of experience applying machine learning or high performance data analytics to real-world problems; education will be considered in lieu of experience.
Please apply for all staff positions by creating a profile and submitting credentials online at http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/index.html. No applications will be accepted via email or the U.S. Postal Service.