Cloud Software Engineer-2013152
The Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC) creates and provides advanced computing ecosystems and solutions, scalable to the greatest challenges. Building on the strength of two world-class research institutions--Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh--our team collaborates with local, regional, national, and international researchers, uniting advanced computing technologies, data, and multidisciplinary expertise to enable discoveries that benefit the world and the way we live.
PSC is seeking to hire a Cloud Software Engineer. In this role, you will work within PSC’s Facilities Technology Group to design, develop, deploy, and maintain hybrid cloud infrastructure and services spanning PSC on-premise resources and public clouds. This role will provide excellent opportunities for collaboration both within the Facilities Technology Group and with other groups across PSC, including Artificial Intelligence and Big Data, Biomedical Applications, User Support for Scientific Applications, and Security.
Responsibilities are determined by active project needs. Core responsibilities include:
- Lead the design and development of hybrid cloud infrastructure at PSC.
- Develop and deploy container orchestration frameworks on PSC’s hybrid clouds.
- Develop, deploy, and maintain services on PSC’s hybrid clouds.
Flexibility, excellence, passion, and collaboration are vital qualities at PSC, where diversity, inclusion, and cultural sensitivity are core values.
We are searching for a team member who is able to interact with internal and external partners proactively and with a high degree of responsiveness.
Required skills and experience:
- Proficiency with Linux: shells, editors, building applications, etc.
- Proficiency in Python and shell scripting languages
- Proficiency with Docker and Kubernetes, and optionally, other container technologies
- Proficiency installing software on-prem and for public clouds
- Conceptual & functional knowledge of microservices, JSON/REST, XML, and HTTP
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a team environment
- Excellent planning and organizational skills; ability to work quickly and independently to complete deliverables on time and at a high standard of quality
- Excellent problem-solving skills and creativity
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and projects
Other desirable skills:
- Demonstrated success with cloud orchestration projects beyond coursework, i.e. in research or business
- Experience with modern software engineering practices including use of code repositories (e.g., GitHub) and continuous integration (e.g., Jenkins)
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field, or equivalent experience
- 1-3 years of experience developing software orchestration using public or private clouds
- Experience working with high performance computing (HPC) environments
- 1-3 years of experience working with secure platforms for hosting sensitive/restricted data
- 1-3 years of experience with virtualization hosting platforms such as OpenStack, VMWare ESX, or oVirt
- Experience in one or more disciplines in a client/server or service-oriented architecture (SOA) environment, including DevOps, database management, technical architecture, or application development
- More Information
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Please apply for all staff positions by creating a profile and submitting credentials online at http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/index.html. No applications will be accepted via email or the U.S. Postal Service.